The deliciously ‘creamy’ texture of silken tofu creates the perfect base for everything from salad dressings and pasta sauces to soy yogurt and even… chocolate cream pie. Yes, chocolate cream pie for vegans… Does life get any better?
This decadent dessert is deliciously velvety and delightfully rich, yet it contains zero animal products.
If you don’t have the time, the patience, or the confidence to make the crust from scratch, take a look at your local health food store and you may well find that they sell a pre-made vegan pie crust.
Chocolate Cream Pie
yields one 8″ pie
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup organic sunflower oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 cup orange juice
1/2 Tbsp. dry sweetener
1. Sift flour into a bowl. Remove any bran.
2. In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients and whisk together with sweetener.
3. Mix dry ingredients into the wet. Dough should be wet enough to hold together and dry enough not to stick to your fingers. It is best to use this dough immediately for easy rolling. (Otherwise, wrap and chill until ready to use.)
4. Roll dough between two pieces of wax paper, (dampen a flat surface and place wax paper on it, flattening to remove bubbles) or use flour to keep dough from sticking. Roll from the center outward, until even, about 1/8” thick. Place the rolled dough in a pie plate and gently press it into the plate, covering the sides and bottom.
2 C. fair-trade chocolate chips (vegan of course)
1 package silken tofu (organic), rinsed and drained
1/4 C. dry sweetener
1 T. vanilla
1. Melt chocolate chips*. In a food processor, using the “S” shaped blade, blend all filling ingredients until smooth.
2. Pour filling into baked crust. Refrigerate for 45 minutes.
* To melt chocolate, use a double boiler. If you do not have one, boil water in a large saucepan. Place chocolate in a smaller one and place this saucepan into the boiling water. Warm chocolate on medium heat, stirring until melted.
Top with “Whipped Dream”.
These recipes have been reproduced from Incredibly Delicious: Recipes for a New Paradigm, which includes over 500 recipes and all sorts of tips to help make the transition to veganism easy and delicious.