Before the glorious summer days disappear into fall altogether, here’s one more recipe for those who are still able to make the most of the summer weather.
If you’re still breaking out the vegan barbecue, you’ll love this kabob recipe, which uses tempeh or frozen tofu chunks, marinated along with mushrooms, zucchini and red pepper.
Freezing tofu creates an interesting change in texture… The finished product is more ’spongy’, so it can be used in different ways. If you plan to use the frozen tofu (rather than tempeh), make sure you plan ahead of time – it requires a day or two to be sufficiently frozen.
Wish Kabobs with Marinated Tempeh
yields 6 skewers
2 cups tempeh, steamed, cubed
OR 1 lb. organic firm tofu
1 medium-sized red onion, cut into chunks
1 red pepper, cut into 1″ pieces
1 zucchini, cut in rounds
12 button mushrooms, stems removed
6 Tbsp. mustard (stoneground)
3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup apple juice and 1/2 cup orange juice
1 tsp. each: salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1. (If using tempeh, begin at step 4) Rinse and drain tofu. Place the whole block on a plate. Place another plate directly on top of tofu and place a weight on top of the plate, for example, a teapot filled with water. After 30 minutes, pour off collected water.
2. Repeat step one. After draining, cut into four small rectangles and wrap in plastic. Freeze for 12-48 hours. Unwrap and thaw by placing tofu in a bowl of hot water for 20-30 minutes.
3. Do not pull pieces apart until completely thawed. Gently squeeze and drain. Cut into cubes.
4. In a shallow dish, mix the marinade ingredients. Add tofu/tempeh and coat well. Marinate for at least two hours. Remove tofu/tempeh, then marinate the vegetables in the same mixture.
5. Thread tofu/tempeh onto wooden skewers, alternating with veggies.
6. Grill over medium-high heat for 10-20 minutes, turning occasionally. Brush with marinade frequently. Vegetables should be slightly browned on the outside, tender on the inside.
This recipe has been reproduced from Incredibly Delicious: Recipes for a New Paradigm, which includes over 500 recipes and all sorts of tips to help make the transition to veganism easy and delicious.